This morning we woke up to a lot of snow. We got about a foot, and about 8-9 inches of it was on the ground at 8am. Adam's car does really bad in the snow, it's an old 77 Mercedes with rear wheel drive and cheap tires. So rather than have him drive and probably get stuck the boys and I decided to take him because we needed the van. The drive there was good, except for the call from his boss saying they were running about 40-60 minutes late so we decided to stop and get the boys a treat. Of course they picked out donuts and chocolate milk (what boy wouldn't).
Ok that is not why I titled the post this way, but on the way home the roads were looking a little bit better so were were able to go a decent speed for snow, about 30 on the freeway. We were almost to our exit so I started changing lanes and hit a patch of ice. Well it wasn't pretty, the car was sliding and so I turned the wheel to help correct it and I started spinning. Now mind you we had just been surrounded by cars passing us (I was the one going slow) and there was a semi behind us. We spun about 2-3 times I believe (really no clue) and ended up near the shoulder facing the right direction. Miraculously no one hit us. The whole time the car was rotating I was bracing myself for the semi broadsiding us. I really have no clue how we escaped without a crash. Especially because behind the truck there were about 20-30 cars we let pass before pulling back onto the road.
I was a mess and silently cried and shook for the rest of the ride home. But the boys were pretty happy. They kept asking me to spin the car around again. They thought doing donuts was the best! When I got home I was able to talk to both my mom and Adam and get some of my emotions out. Right after I talked to them and was a mess (tears and now freely flowing) I talked the boys about what happened and how much Heavenly Father and Jesus must really care about us to protect us today. I think it really sunk in for Drew and while I wish we never had that experience I am grateful for the teaching opportunity it provided as well as making me me more aware of how involved our Savior is in our day to day lives.
We then all got ready for a day out with Da (my mom). For those of you who don't know my mom just got engaged to Garry. They are getting married on July 5th and we are really excited for them. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking at different locations to hold the ceremony and reception. Yes I did got back on the road, but they were pretty much clear and it helped to not be by myself.
They want to have an outside wedding, but we are having a hard time finding a location where we like both the inside of the building and the outside. I'm sure one will fall into place soon, it's just hard until it does.
Ok there is my day, I am just so happy we are all home, safe and sound. I'm thankful for a Savior who watches out and protects my precious little family from harm.
1 comment:
oh I am so glad you are okay.. scary.. I have done that same thing before..did a 360 on I5, and ended facing the right way in the median.. scary.. hard to get going again.. glad you could talk to your boys about it.. so glad you are okay.. that could have been awful..
excited for your mom.. yay for her! I hope I get to go...
well, take care!
Post a Comment