Thursday, December 20, 2007

Hospital again. . .

Today we got to see the other side of Intermountain Health Care, and unfortunately it was the ER, and it was me. I have had some pretty crazy postpartum bleeding, and I'll spare you all the details but lets just say today after my shower things got pretty out of control. I called my midwife and she said if it kept up to go to the ER. So a couple of hours later off we went.

I do have to admit if you need to go to the ER for an adult (children it's always better to go to Primary's) this is the hospital to go to. We were in triage about 5 minutes after getting there. After gathering our info and initial health info were off to our room where the doctor came super fast. It was actually so fast I barely had time to get changed. Within two minutes of him leaving the nurse arrived, I know crazy huh? The doctor typically never beats the nurse.

They had to stick me with the super big needle in case I needed a transfusion, and did a bunch of labs. They ran a bag of fluids, did an internal exam and gave me a nasty prescription. Luckily my hematocrit had gone back up to the normal level since I delivered so no extra blood was needed. The meds they gave me is like oxytocin where it contracts my uterus to get it to stop bleeding and get rid of anything else that is still there that shouldn't be.

This also isn't the first time we had been to the hospital this week, on Wednesday, Jerrod had an appointment with an urologist. His opening on his penis is partially closed which means his stream is pretty uncontrollable. He is going to have a procedure to open it back up on January 11th, and they have to put him under for it. The urologist said that it happens sometimes with circumcised boys when the end of their penis rubs on their diaper. Hopefully he does well with it.

Combine all of this with Gideon being circumcised on Friday and our family is having quite the focus on reproductive organs. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we won't have any complications or other hospital visits.

3 comments:

Lauralee said...

oh Amber.. I am sorry.. so not fun!
Have you been told.. red heads bleed more? I have everytime I had a baby.. I think it is true! strange but true.. I am sorry.. hope it slows.. that is exhausting!
take care!

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Miller's said...

Glad you're doing better!