Sunday, December 9, 2007

Finally Here!!!!

Gideon Adam Vester made his arrival at 12:48pm on Sunday December 9th. He weighed in at a hefty 9lbs 9ozs and was 22 inches long. He is doing great and we are all so happy he is here!

Birth Story!
On Saturday night I started having regular contractions. at 6:30pm They had gotten pretty painful, and close together Around 10pm we called my mom to have her come over so we could go to the hospital. We got the labor and delivery (l&d) around midnight. They checked me and I was almost a 5 and about 80-90% effaced. They monitored me for about an hour and when she checked me again it was the same, so frustrating. We decided to walk for an hour, after that I was still the same. We were monitored for another hour or so without making any changes. We decided to go home with a morphine shot with the nurses telling us we would be back after a few hours.

Adam and I got home around 3:30 and I was able to sleep for a little bit. Around 6 some really intense contractions started waking me up. By 8am they were getting unbearable so we decided to head into the hospital again. We got to the hospital around 9:30 and were taken back to a l&d room. The contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and hurt so bad I started crying during some of them. I was completely surprised to find out I had not progressed at all from when they discharged me. They monitored me for an hour without any changes and she asked if I wanted to walk the halls. I told her no because I could barely stand the pain. She talked to my midwife who said to keep me and we would break my water to see if we could get some changes.

By this time I was so ready for some pain meds, especially since the contractions weren't doing anything. I had an awesome nurse who tracked down the anethesiologist just before he went into a c-section and he came and did my epideral. A few minutes later my midwife came and broke my water. They left me alone to get some rest and about an hour or so later the nurse and midwife came in because the baby's heart rate had dropped into the 60's and 70's. They were getting ready to place a monitor on his head when my midwife checked me and found that I had gone from a 5 to a 10 and the baby had dropped to a +3 station, which is 3 centimeters below the bottom of my pubic bone opening. They quickly prepped up for delivery and after about 5 minutes of pushing our little boy was born. One of the best parts was that I didn't need any stitches! Not bad for a huge little boy.

It is frustrating that I was unable to deliver without pain meds, but I was so tense my cervix was unable to change. I'm just glad I didn't have to have any pitocin, to keep labor going, but by just being able to relax got our little guy here.

Here are some pictures!


Not so happy after getting a shot and being weighed!

Proud big brother Drew

Jerrod with his new little brother!

Gideon after his bath.

7 comments:

sukie said...

Congrats Guys! I hope you don't mind - but I posted the pic on WMAS.

Awesome news!

jamieleighcall said...

YEA, Amber!!!! I'm so glad you finally had the little guy. Bishop Featherstone said you guys stopped by and you were ready to pop. Now we know why. Holy cow, 9 lbs. 9 oz. WOW! Your birth story is amazing. I'm glad you didn't need stitches. I love the pic of Jerrod holding Gideon with his tongue sticking out. So cute. Get some rest and let me know if I can do anything for you. I would love to help. Take care and give that new little guy tons of kisses for me. Love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Congrate! I can't believe how much he looks like his brothers! Hope things continue to go well!

Anonymous said...

~Mike B.

Lisa said...

Congrats, I am glad to hear everything is going well. Looks like I have to pay up because I thought we were going to beat you. Finally the little guy made his move. I hope torturing you by not coming when expected is not a sign of the future ;0) He looks adorable and already looks alot like his brothers. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Erek

Annie said...

Amber!! He's so cute!! Congratulations to you all! When can I come see???? What can we do to help? I'm thrilled. See you soon!

Michelle Claire said...

Amber, Congrats! I'm glad that everything went so well... he is one big boy! :) Absolutely adorable!