Sunday, June 27, 2010

quilt sampler, week 1

Because I don't know enough to do I started a simple sampler quilt along. Each week 2 blocks are posted with instructions and at the end of 8 weeks you have all of the blocks to make a quilt. The blocks in this quilt are not ones I would normally choose but since I have just kinda been winging it on my quilts I thought it would be great to learn some techniques and the steps I should be taking to make a better quilt. If you want to follow along click here for the main page for the quilt a long.

I am using a Verna Layer cake that I actually won on give-a-way week from Amy. Since some of the fabric squares are smaller and I can't get all of the pieces from the same print I'm improvising a little. I really like the result. Sorry for the poor pictures I just unpacked my sewing machine tonight and whipped up the blocks after the kiddos went to bed.

Block 1
Block 2, now that I'm looking at the picture I wished I flipped the strips so they were opposites, but oh well. I'm really happy I got all of the corners to match up!


And both of them together! I can't wait to get the new blocks, I am loving all of the fun colors and prints of this line of fabric.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

they look great Amber! Love that Verna :)

Anonymous said...

I like the 16 patch the best. They look like little windows, very neat! I love the colors in them and am finding it fascinating how people are using stripes in these blocks.

SheilaC said...

I just love Verna!!! :) Your blocks are great!

SheilaC