Monday, January 26, 2009

Skiing, bike, walking, and spiderman

We decided it was time to take Drew skiing this year and this past friday I got to take him up. You can ski free after 3 at Alta which is so great, take advantage of it for those of you in Utah. Adam was home sick with the little boys so it was just Drew and me. Unfortunately I don't have pictures because our camera is kinda big and I didn't want to fall on it. I loosened up his bindings, a little too much because every time he fell they came off :( but we went up the mountain. He was having a hard time, understandably so and we got down the first two hills. Alta also has staff skiing to give you help and one of them stopped and was giving Drew some tips. He still was having a difficult time applying them and so he put his pulls around him and tried to get Drew down the mountain. After another 20 or so feet he decided that Drew needed a lift down and called up a snow mobile and Drew got a ride. He also told us about a tow rope for beginners (I didn't know about it or that's where we would have started) and said that they were free all day every day. So I skied after them and then we got some quality time on the tow rope. He is really fearless and kept askin when we could go back up the mountain. We made a two goals that he needed to do before we went back up.
1. Be able to wedge to slow down and stop
2. Wedge turns down the hills

I thought those were pretty important things so we kept working. The whole way home he kept asking when we could go again and we decided to go again on Saturday. My mom was great and took Gideon and we rented some skiis for Jerrod. This time we went straight for the tow rope. It was nice to have a parent for each kid. Jerrod pretty much skiied between my legs the whole time (my back really hurts) and my the end was having fun instead of being scared. He also thought it was really fun to try and jump while we were going down the hills, which means pick up his feet so I am carrying him down. Really not fun for me. Oh well he loved it as well and itw was great.

Drew mastered his goals and Adam took him up the mountain. He did well and was able to turn and slow down and he only feel 4-5 times. We also fixed the bindings so we weren't battling with trying to get his boots back in the skis the whole time. Overall a great time and we are going to try and go up on Fridays after school :)

Gideon has also started walking! Yay! He has been pretty slow after getting so sick in November and while he has been able to take a couple of steps for a few weeks he has started to try to and walk on his own without promptings. He is super cute and I'll try to get a video up later.

I got impulsive a week ago and bought myself a new mountain bike. It's a specialized full suspension mountain bike with hydralic brakes. It is so awesome, last Monday Erek Winnett and I went for a ride on the snowy trails. It was fun to get it out and and it rides so nice! I'm excited for it to warm up, I made a goal of doing a couple of mountain bike races this summer along with at least 1 if not 2 half marathons. This bike will make the races a little more enjoyable. As a side note, anyone need an awesome hardtail that is less than a year old? ;)
Above is the new one, it's such a pretty pain job, and below is the old one. Both as such fun bikes.
Yesterday at church Adam was home sick and he kept the baby so it was just me and Drew and Jerrod. It was fun to have some time alone with them, but during the sacrament Jerrod leans over and whispers that "Spiderman isn't here." He was very serious and I had to keep from laughing. He proceeded to tell me that he wasn't at church because he was out saving people. He is such a cute boy and made me smile. I just thought I'd share. ;)

1 comment:

jamieleighcall said...

That is so great you are getting Drew into skiing! Jake and I have decided we want to start Ben now too. Good to know about Alta. Maybe one Saturday we can go up together.

Also, I'm so excited you're doing the SL Half!! We need to definitely hook up before the race and after. Take some pics of us all sweaty in our triumph and glory. ;) How is training going? I would definitely love to do some long runs with you. Just let me know when I'm there.