Friday, November 28, 2008

Doing better!

Today Gideon is really doing well. He is running a very low grade fever and hasn't had morphine since this morning. We are working on lowering his oxygen and he is maintaining his oxygen levels really well. Hopefully we'll get to turn it off soon and have one less cord to deal with.

Gideon is also acting happier (yeah!) and playing with his toys. I have to admit I kinda miss the morphine because it knocked him out so well and I could really use a good nap. I did get about 5-6 hours last night, with the longest streak lasting a whole 2 hours! I know sounds meager but much better than the 2 hours with 20 minute periods the first night, and 5 with about 45 minute blocks the second night. So maybe tonight we will be able to get more sleep! Yeah!

It's looking like we will be released tomorrow morning and I can't wait to take him home. We are so blessed to have Gideon in our family and I'm glad this very scary situation has had a happy ending. I still get chills when I think of the different thoughts the docs had about him here are the 3 scariest.
  1. Because the infection is so fast moving not doing the surgery is very life threatening especially where it's located (base of brain into the chest cavity)
  2. After surgery the doc opened up and told us that he was worried it could be a flesh eating bacteria (treatment usually involves an amputation which you can't do on a neck)
  3. Getting the call that they were not able to do the surgery through the mouth, which is a lot safer, and that they were preparing to go through the neck when the abscess was deep to the carotid artery, and jugular vein along with many cranial nerves. Also they took almost an extra 30 minutes for this than they expected so my mind was going crazy in the waiting room.
So overall I am so glad it's almost over and that our sweet baby was watched over and protected from many scary things that could have happened.

No comments: