Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Update and memories

Well here I am, sitting on the couch still pregnant. I really thought we would be blessed with our little boy by now, but apparently I am making a pretty comfortable home for him. If I make it another 3 days I will be pregnant longer than I ever have been before, but I'm trying to stay optimistic because it is giving me a change to get my school work done, and I really want to go into labor and deliver this little guy naturally.

I went to the lecture for the class I TA for today and the prof went over aging and the changes one's body goes through and the social and emotional implications of those. I have not seen that material for awhile because most of my classes deal with development in younger years such as childhood, adolescence, early adulthood, ect. He showed a movie of a family going to visit their grandmother in a nursing home who was now blind, did not have much control of her body, dementia and most likely was near death. The oldest son kept having flashbacks of happy memories he had with his grandmother growing up and I couldn't help but think about my Grandma Davis. Because my grandma either lived with or near us from the time I was 4 I have a lot of happy memories and I remember when she decided to stop medical procedures when I was a senior in high school so she could pass away peacefully.

I remember watching her age and eventually returning to live with our Heavenly Father. I think that as I am nearing the birth Gideon the veil gets a little thinner and my thoughts keep turning to my grandma. It is a little overwhelming to deal with considering the high levels of hormones I am dealing with but why my mind keeps bring up these memories I thought I would share some of the happy ones I am remembering.

I remember:
getting off the school bus and going to grandmas for warm cookies and a hug.

the first snow of the year and grandma in her bright green quilted coat coming outside to teach us the games she use to play with her brothers and sisters growing up.

going up to grandmas while my parents went out and watching old movies while she fixed us apples and cheese for snacks

on cold days to go up to grandmas for our favorite meal of spaghetti soup with saltine crackers that we would smoother with butter and colby-jack cheese

her teaching me how to make potato cinnamon rolls, and when you're kneading the dough sometimes it needs a little "spank"

helping grandma water her flowers (she was quite the gardener) and having her tell me all about the different kinds

having my cousins come to visit and after we got back from playing in the woods my grandma would have a whole platter full of sandwiches for us to devour along with lemonade

laying on the floor in her living room and looking at her old photo albums and hearing stories about her growing up. One of my most memorable is when she would tell me about how her dad would take their whole family (11 kids) in a two seater old ford to go camping during the depression.

grandma either taking me or picking me up from school and going to McDonald's for lunch. For some reason they would not serve a happy meal because it was 10 minutes before they started serving lunch and grandma gave them an earful. I was so embarrassed at the time, but looking back I can see how she was trying to make me happy.

the scowl grandma would give me as I tried to take her picture when she didn't want me to. I see this face almost daily from Jerrod, it makes me smile.

Well now I'm crying, yet again, it is amazing the emotions that can come out after sitting dormant for so long. I wish my grandma could be here and see my beautiful children, but I'm sure that she has and is spending time with them on the other side.

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

oh you made me cry too.. I miss her.. I was pregnant with Emmalee at her funeral.. I remember that feeling of the veil being thin.. I know they are watching over us.. I feel that very clearly at different times in my life..

I can totally hear her saying the dough needs a little spank.. that cracks me up!

I totally remember the green coat.

I can imagine the poor mcdonald's worker..

I remember the scowl..

thanks for sharing amber.. hope that baby gets a little uncomfortable... good luck with the delivery!
have a great night!

Carly said...

Well along with you and Lauralee, I'm in tears also. I miss her SO much too! She would have so much fun with our kids. I'm sure grandma had her turn before they came to our families. What good memories you have of her!! Hang in there!