Thursday, May 14, 2009

Medical School

This year has been a really long year with trying to figure out what we are doing next year for school. Many of you know that I have been applying to medical school, and if I didn't get in this year that I would have to take the MCAT again. That is something I really did not want to do as the test is brutal, long, and expensive.

I applied all over the country and we were really hoping to go back east, but that didnt' work out so well. I thought for sure that I would have gotten into the U, and when I didn't we were pretty surprised. When I got that rejection I kinda freaked out and applied to a couple more DO schools. Throughout the year I had been feeling more of a preference to the Osteopathic programs because of the stronger focus on primary care, and I believe that learning the OMM, Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, will be a benefit to my patients as ttheir bodies get out of line and have different stresses throughout pregnancy.

One of the last minute schools I applied to was Western Collge of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. The primary reason I did not apply to this school in the first place was because I didn't really want to live in California at all. Apperantly this was a good fit though because about 2 days after they received my secondary they requested an interview, and 2 weeks after my interview I got in.

While there Adam found many Universities that he could teach at, and one set of liberal arts school where the chair of his department here at the U taught at 2 years ago. That professor has offered to write a letter for him and make some contacts. I believe that this is the school that worked out because while it may not be the school that I really wanted to go to, it is the school that provides the most to my family.

Also the school had an awesome match list this year, with some pretty impressive spots in both MD and DO residencies. And their board pass rate are #4 in step 1 with a 95% first time pass rate which is within 1% of the #1 pass rate, and for step 2 they are #1 with a 98.5 first time pass rate. Overall we are really excited about the school and that I get to be a doctor.

Another blessing that worked out with this school is that I had the opportunity to defer for a year so Adam and finish his dissertation here in Utah and keep teaching. I also have a good job and we can work on saving for our move to California over the next year and by being graduated Adam should be able to get a teaching job to help us afford to live there.

I'm so glad that the Lord has watched out for us, and even though the road we are on isn't what I imagined over the last year I can see how this is working out so well for our family!

While there we took a trip out to Newport and here are some pictures of Gideon's first time at the ocean. Drew and Jerrod both stayed home and hung out with the Winnetts and their grandparents.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I so understand about the Lord knowing what school is really best for you and your family :) I'm so glad everything worked out so well for you! Congratulations!!

Angie Prusse said...

Wow Amber! That is awesome! Congratulations! It is hard to see that everything will work out for our benefit until it happens! The Lord is watching over you and your family! I am happy for this new adventure you get to go on!

Paul and Susan said...

Congratulations. You amaze me with juggling mother and doctor rolls. It does sound like this will work out great for your family. Love the pictures of cute Gideon on the beach.

The Clifts said...

I can't believe all of that. I'm glad Jerrod is okay. I can't wait until you are a doctor so I can say I have a friend that's a doctor. I was interested about the kind of doctor you wanted to be. I didn't even know there was a doctor for that! My back has been so screwed up since the twins were born (before actually) and I would love to find out how I can fix that so I don't have chronic back pain.

Melissa said...

Congratulations! That is awesome that you're one step closer to your goal. You are amazing and will make a wonderful doctor someday.