Sunday, March 2, 2008

Stake Conference

We just had our stake conference. First I want to mention how incredible the leaders in our stake are. During the Stake Conference they changed the stake presidency which was sad, but we are excited for our new leaders. Released where President Richards, whose wife Marsha serves on the Relief Society General Board, President Dalton, whose wife is Elaine Dalton of the Young Women's General Presidency, and President Hunter who has served as a mission president. They are all such wonder leaders and examples.

Because of the switch we had Elder Nelson from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and Elder Murdock from the seventy.

It was so neat to hear an apostle in such a small intimate setting. During the Saturday Evening session Elder Nelson spoke of death. This was in relation to President Richards, and Presidents Hunters health over the past year and a half. They both had emergency surgerys where it is a miracle they are alive. Mine mind kept going to the two sweet babies who my friends and family have lost. He said something that has stayed with me the whole time. He said "Death is only premature for those not ready to meet their maker" How true is that! He also emphasized how we need to be ready to meet our Lord at any time so if that situation arises. But back to Laird and Alina, how sad that we don't have them here with us, but how neat that their mission on earth is already fulfilled after a few short days and the many lives they have touched.

This morning Adam went to the Priesthood session. They meet in one of the chapels (they are pretty small) and Elder Nelson opened the meeting up for questions! How cool is that! How many men can say that they have sat with another 150 or so worthy priesthood holders with a member of the 12 apostles and were able to ask any questions they had. Adam said it was a wonderful meeting.

Then at 10 we went for last meeting where we were able to sustain all of the general leaders and stake leaders. I could feel the spirit so strong when we raised our hands to sustain President Thomas S Monson as Prophet, Seer, and Revelator. It was neat because President Dalton conducted that part of the meeting and he got choked up when he was reading that part.

Later Sister Nelson spoke to us on being happy with what we are given, instead of being upset when things don't work out the way we have planned. I know this is something that I tend to do, I believe I know how things should be done, and I tend to not be very flexible. This was a good reminder to me to be more flexible with my family, especially Adam, and the Lord. I know that many times I have thought our life should be going down a different path, and have been frustrated when we are told to go another direction. It always works out wonderfully and I need to remember those moments.

Last when President Nelson spoke he gave us a history of our dear President Richards. I guess they are family friends and President Nelson is friends with Presidents Richards parents, and also was his mentor, and boss when President Richards went through his Surgery Residency here at the UofU. He then gave our Stake an apostle blessing, this was the second as he gave one last night as well.

When the meeting was over me and boys went up and shook President Nelson's and his wife's hand. It was neat to watch my boys shake hands with a prophet. I hope that is something Drew will always remember, I'm guessing Jerrod and Gideon won't remember. What a awesome day.

It was so neat to be the presence of such valiant and faithful leaders. Overall we had 4 members of general church leadership in our little stake. We personally believe that our stake is kinda a training ground for future leaders. We are so grateful for the opportunity we have to live here in the village and receive guidance and counsel from such great men and woman.

3 comments:

lisa winnett said...

What a amazing skate Conference we had. I agree that it was truly a great experience to be there.

Becca Jane said...

I know, I agree. How lucky are we to live where we do! Thanks for the good summary of the weekend! We were dealing with Cam for most of the Sunday meeting, so we didn't hear much. Luckily we had a sitter on Saturday!

Brad said...

I just looked over SOOOO much of your blog. You guys are a cute family. We miss you. Hyrum says Drew looks different.