Monday, March 10, 2008

Baby Wearing

Lately I have been a little obsessed with different baby carriers. I personally love to wear my little guy around. I get to snuggle him, and get things done at the same time. My dilemma has been uncomfortable or bulky carriers. We have a bjorn that is great for how fast you can get it on and off, but after about an hour my back starts to hurt. I had borrowed my sister's moby wrap which is awesome for comfort, but a pain to put on and off, and if the weather is warm it's hot.

I was looking at the mei tai and a k'tan carrier thinking they may be a good mix of both. Because they are so pricey 60-100+ for them I decided to sew some. I have to admit I am pretty happy with the results. Here are a few pictures. I found that the K'tan hurts my back after awhile like the bjorn, but the mei tai is super comfortable. If anyone wants to make one just let me know and I can help. ;)

Here's the K'tan, Gideon is sleeping in it. You can also wear it crossed over your back so they can face in or out with a sash that goes around them. I prefer the other carriers, except for when he needs to sleep and I will be moving and sitting. Like last week when I went to my resident council meeting I walked over and then sat through the meeting. He slept through it all. It was great. I'm guessing it would also work well to nurse with, but I haven't attempted that yet. (please ignore the mess in the background)

Here's my favorite, the mei tai. I also love th print. I padded the straps and it is light, easy to put on, doesn't hurt my back, and is cute. What could be better ;)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Okay, so how where did you find your pattern for the mei tai? I think I"ll try my hand at making one. I just looked up a video on putting on a moby wrap, and I think I can handle that too.