Thursday, October 18, 2007

Poll

I created a poll to get others opinion on my education. As most of you know I have been on a path to medical school, which is ultimately my ideal profession. I have completed all the pre-reqs, gotten almost all A's, done research, got published in a medical journal, have leadership and volunteer hours, and taken the MCAT. But the last month has brought a lot of questions. Drew has had an extremely hard adjustment to kindergarten. We have had to deal with him becoming withdrawn and depressed. He has started doing a lot better, and I think we are out of the woods. The problem comes in when I would be in my residency. He will be 12-16 during those 4 years when I am required to work 80 hours a week. While Adam will be able to be home when they are and plan the courses he teaches around the boys, I wonder if he will need both parents while going through that crucial time.

So this has been an extremely hard decision and I don't plan on making any final plans until after I have this baby and my hormones are back to normal. When I have been evaluating other fields I would like I believe that I would be happy, not as happy, but satisfied teaching at the university level and practicing therapy on the side with couples and families. Both marriage and family therapy and social work would allow both of those possibilities. Human Development and Family Studies would only allow for teaching, but in a field I am comfortable with since that is where a lot of my studies have been.

Another side note is that by not going to medical school it would allow Adam to pursue a law degree after his PhD, which is what he really wants to do. He would be able to teach as well as practice anti-trust law which goes very well with economics.

Overall I thought we had our life planned out and were doing what the Lord wanted us to do, but I guess being a parent means being willing to put your own dreams on hold to do what is best for your children.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

My vote is to do what you have always wanted to do. I don't know what its like to have a 12-16 year old kid but most likely he is going to be way into his friends and his hobbies. I think the biggest problem is going to be the schedule between, soccer practice, hockey practice, skate park time, preparing church lessons, updating your blog, hanging out with your neighbors downstairs, grocery shopping, homework time, you time, adam time, jared time, drew time, little baby (????) time, hanging out with your neighbors downstairs again time..... etc. I think going to school all day for the first time, getting up early, is a bit of an adjustment. I would continue with your dreams for at least a bit longer... Especially after the new baby comes.....

Lauralee said...

amber.. I don't know that I have the best advice.. but that last line that you wrote.. something about being a parent and putting your own dreams on home- I don't know if you meant to write on hold..but I think that means a lot.. I imagine becoming a doctor would be pretty cool.. from my experience.. watching my own family.. my kids and my siblings.. the older kids get the more they need you.. not less..