Sunday, September 9, 2007

Survival

That is what I feel our family has been doing the past week. Drew has had a hard adjustment to kindergarten, along with everyone else. When he comes home from school he tells us "school was bored" I hope and think most of it is because he is in the dual immersion program so half of his day is in Spanish and it's hard to not understand what's going on. On the brighter side he is in the same class with his best friend and on Thursday they only got into trouble for talking too much once! That was the first thing they told me when I picked them up.

Jerrod is trying to figure out how to stay busy by himself. On Wednesday I had to take him to school with me for my office hours and he had such a hard time. Thankfully he was entertained for part of the time by some of my office mates who played basketball with him with one of those little Nerf balls and hoops that decorates our tiny grad office.

Adam has started his part time job which is taking away some of his study time so we are trying to find a balance to everything. And well I feel like I'm going crazy. Up until two weeks ago I was also working on my medical school application but thankfully dropped that in light of everything else that is going on. My courses themselves are not too bad, but on Saturday morning I graded 30 papers written by freshman on Sigmund Freud. If any of you are familiar with some of psychoanalytic theory it can be pretty controversial and while most of them seemed to understand some of them need better clarity on the Id, Ego, and Superego. Not that I'll go into it here, but if you're writing a paper it is best to understand how everything relates to each other before you try to relate it to you life... OK enough said I think everyone can understand what I am trying to say. I'm sure my next grading experience will be better because I will have already done it once.

Did I mention we also tried to fit in some family time, a church dinner, and endless piles of readings? This morning Adam and I discovered we have not gone on a date for about a month because our schedules are so crazy, I'm sure a break from our responsibilities (I am including the children in that) would be beneficial for our relationship. Now if I can just figure out how to get a break from this little guy who loves to kick me ;)

No comments: