Friday, August 12, 2011

adjustments

So we are trying out best to get into the swing of things with my school starting and getting the boys ready to start school. In addition to this we also have some changes with Jerrod. From the time Jerrod was little we knew he struggled to stay on task and follow directions, he also seemed to overreact to stimuli and seek out stimuli when it was calm and quiet.


We have talked to our pediatricians about this multiple times and they always wanted to wait and see. When he had his yearly check-up for school we brought it up again and the doc said he in no way had ADHD, but he may have a sensory integration disorder. This means that he perceives input differently than you and I.


While I don't know what this entails I do have access to wonderful drs at school. I sent an email off to a Psychologist at our school and she gave me some things to read and some recommendations to have him seen by a Psychiatrist. Jerrod had one visit before our summer trip, and then had some testing done when we got back.


We got the results on Wednesday and Jerrod was diagnosed with ADHD (what I have always thought he had) along with a sensory integration disorder. We just started him on some medications to help him keep his anxiety under control while we start with a 40 session treatment plan for him to learn how to control his body and emotions better.



I'm excited to have things to do to help him, but I also worry about labeling him. Adam and I get the task of figuring how to to fight for what he needs while still treating him like he is the same. I know we are up to the task and I am so glad we are working on this now before it has become an issue at school and with friends. Jerrod is such an awesome kid and I can't wait to learn how to help him learn better.


1 comment:

lisa winnett said...

That is crazy to hear about Jerrod. Luckily now you guys can help him in a way that is best for him. Good Luck and keep us posted.